I am working as a tia (caregiver) in the home for children with special needs for the month of December, as the regular employees all have vacation through Christmas. All of the volunteers work 48-hour shifts with the kids, and then we have 48 hours off. Here is a picture from this past week, when we walked to the town of Parramos, only about a mile from NPH.
A picture of a camioneta in Guatemala City.
The local in-town busses in Guatemala City must be from the 1950's. I rode in one with a few other volunteers when we went to Pamela's graduation from dental school, and I hope I never have to ride in one again.
Some super employees at our holiday convivio.
My friend Pamela, who spent her final year of dental school working here at NPH. She lived in my house (Casa 4) during the week and returned home to her family in the capital on the weekends.
The convivio with the employees of NPH.
Dancing at the convivio...
More dancing.
We had a raffle with lots of prizes...
I won a soccer ball!
Tias from Castillo Magico (the nickname of the home for kids with special needs here)
9 of us made the trip home to NPH in the back of a pick-up truck.
There was a walk in Antigua for children with disabilities that we got to go to. It was a fun event for everyone and we got free food :)



Wonderful pictures. Clearly the smiles say it all.
ReplyDelete