Saturday, June 15, 2013

Daily sights

This is La Merced, the beautiful church where I have been attending mass daily at 5pm. This morning at 6:30, I went with my host mother (Elvira) to a special mass. Every Saturday is dedicated to the Virgin Mary here, so there were extra songs and prayers said before and after mass. It lasted about an hour and fifteen minutes. 






Below is the fountain in the central square. I walk through this area every day since it's the safest route...there are many police officers walking around.


I am staying with a wonderful family here, but they live about as far away from my school as is possible in Antigua. The walk to school is about 20 to 25 minutes each day, so I've gotten to explore a lot (and gotten lost a lot as well ;). It's been good practice for me to ask strangers for directions in Spanish! Below is my daily route. The house is in the upper left corner, and the school is in the bottom right.


1 comment: